A heat pump is a device that can cool or heat the interior of a building by exploiting the difference in temperature between the environment and the interior.
The most important part, as far as the cost-effectiveness is concerned, is that, in combination with stand-alone photovoltaic systems (net metering – energy compensation), heat pumps can eliminate the power cost!
According to a study conducted by the National Technical University of Athens, heat pumps can be cost-effective as it follows: 33% from pellets, 44% from closed heath fireplaces, 38-45% from gas, 61% from heating oil and 71% from electric boilers.
Moreover, heating pumps are eco-friendly as, in contrast to the rest of the heating sources (fireplaces, stoves, wood-pellet boilers) they do not produce smog, which is harmful to people’s health.
It has to be noted that heat pumps can be installed both in new and older buildings. In each case, a thorough study has to be conducted so as to find the most efficient option to cover the consumer’s needs.
Why should you choose the heatpump system?
– High efficiency, with COP level ranging from 3 to 6,5
– Easy to operate
– Does not occupy a large space
– Can be combined with an existing radiator system
– Offers the ability to use hybrid assistance systems, i.e solar systems, energy-efficient fireplace.
– Low maintenance
– Does not produce exhaust gas
Overall, it is an easy to install system and an eco-friendly investment that eventually pays off.
What should the consumer notice when selecting a heat pump
– That it is an original pump, i.e monoblock pump (just like in large units) and not diairoumenh (like air conditioners)
– That it does not have an inverter which, contrary to the air conditioners, leads to higher consumption than the same pump wit
– That the water temperature is higher than 60°C
– That it is COP certified by an independent certified laboratory and does not just include a statement or a brochure conducted by the manufacturer.
– That it is provided by a company that offers full technical assistance (installation, equipment service, replacement parts) and not by department stores or independent traders, as the installation process is similar to the one of a boiler and requires special skills.
– That a written warranty of the final product is provided.